WashCo Dems Call to Action: Hillsboro School Board, Sexuality Education and Violence Prevention program is under attack!
Washington County Democrats support empowering our students within their own lives, by giving them the fullest information possible. We urge the Hillsboro School Board to ignore the vocal demands of right-wing groups that seek to impose ignorance on our students, and to pass this important instructional plan to benefit Hillsboro students.
The Washington County Democrat Central Committee passed an Emergency resolution on October 23rd in support of LGBTQIA+ rights, women’s rights and the rights of victims of violence and abuse. See the resolution here >
The Washington County Democrats stand firmly in support of the Hillsboro School Board as they vote to approve their Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE) and Violence Prevention Education Plan on Tuesday October 29th, 2019.
The CSE Plan was developed to conform with Oregon state law, and features age-appropriate lessons for Hillsboro students that are based in the most current evidence and best practices. We support this Plan as an excellent way to ensure that our students learn to have healthy interpersonal relationships as they move into adulthood. Our students deserve complete information about gender, sex, and sexuality to help them make healthy choices. With this strong sexuality education, our students can learn to:
- Avoid sexually transmitted infections and unintended pregnancy,
- Set healthy interpersonal boundaries at all ages,
- Choose the best and most effective contraception for their own situation,
- Make healthy and responsible choices about when and if sexual activity is right for them,
- Recognize the normal variability of human anatomy, sexuality and genders, and
- Recognize the shared humanity and value of others, in ways that will reduce bullying, harassment, sexual violence and self-harm in our schools.
Knowledge is power, and the Washington County Democrats support empowering our students within their own lives, by giving them the fullest information possible. We urge the Hillsboro School Board to ignore the vocal demands of right-wing groups that seek to impose ignorance on our students, and to pass this important instructional plan to benefit Hillsboro students.
We also urge all supporters of students’ rights, LGBTQIA+ rights, and reproductive rights to attend the Hillsboro School Board Meeting to show your support for the CSE Plan.
- Have your voice be heard! Attend the next Hillsboro School Board Meeting
- 7:00PM on Tuesday October 29th, 2019