CC Meeting Recap - picture of CC meetingMay 2019 CC Meeting Recap

Didn’t make the meeting?  Here’s a recap

by Dan Neill, Washington County Democrats Communication Chair

This is an informal recap of the meeting by an individual member. The official record is contained in the minutes taken by the Secretary, which can be found here.

Summary:  Congrats in the May 2019 election to so many winning endorsed candidates, and interesting results of the survey about running the CC meetings

  • 6:30 pm – Kevin Sullivan of Our Oregon – Fighting for School Funding – the coming fight, the benefit of a small tax on high revenues leads to $2 billion (or is it on wealth?) – there are leadership and advocacy training sessions involved – he would love to hear from parents or others willing to have these difficult conversations with businesses about our schools – a few people had questions about clarification, nothing too challenging
  • 7:00 pm – main business begins!
  • A request to add item on agenda between 5 and 6,  to form a special committee – PASSED
  • approval of agenda – PASSED
  • approval of previous minutes – (request to remove the Budget from the public section of the website) – PASSED
  • Initial Remarks
    • Chair would like to congratulate all the winners, the amazing set of wins for our endorsed candidates – Bart Rask even donated 50k of his own money to his own campaign and people power won out
    • Outreach – Jeremy is looking for volunteers to spearhead that group
    • Report on the committee that is working to fix our gender equity in SCC or CD1 elections in the future – genderequity@washcodems.org -> send ideas on the process to that
      • will accept feedback through July 1 – and in the Fall might demonstrate their proposal with a mock election at a CC meeting
      • Dan Franks – reached out to serve as 5th member on the committee – has a background in counseling and psychology – Patrick is nominating him as a 5th member – any discussion? PASSED
    • Volunteer on the month -> undecided, but will have 2 next month, so many people working hard
  • Reports from Party Officers
    • Treasurer – Veronica Williams – SpringFest was good, 5K receivables over expenditures
    • 2nd Vice Chair – Jeremy Likens –
      • Outreach – he is interim chair – 4th of July parade in Hillsboro coming up soon, contact Jeremy if want to walk or ride with them, or help out – 10am-noon, show up a little early
      • The Outreach Committee will meet 7pm June 4th at the WashCo Dems office
      • For Credentials, 80 PCP’s signed in
  • Committee Informational Updates
    • Training and Education – Nancy Lewis – upcoming training DEM 101 June 1, link on the site will be up shortly
    • Finance Committee – Amelia Manlove – SpringFest was a great success, thanks to everyone that pitched in, came, donated;
      • but we aren’t done – Summer Picnic Aug 3rd at Rood Bridge Park, then Hops Night Aug 17th
      • we still need help with Blue Horizon – office-sustaining fund – goal is $300 in new monthly donations, even as little as $5-10/mo will help us reach the goal; challenge is to raise $5/mo your monthly donation – check “recurring donation”
    • IT Committee – Natalia Zhang – thanks for improving the budget, will be getting a new PA system for our events; we don’t have polling data for local elections mostly because it costs money; she is trying to put together a group of volunteers to get some training in polling so can work on candidates – email her it_chair@washcodems.org;
    • Communications Comm – Dan Neill – we are working hard, especially at election or fundraising time
      • Like to work remotely from your laptop any time you want?  Comms is a great committee for that
      • Writers, Researchers, Scrum Masters, Website Maintenance, Email Guru
      • contact publicity@washcodems.org
    • Latinx Outreach Comm – Wlnsvey Campos – Alex Diaz Rios is on the PCC board, an exciting time
      • we will find a place to meet next
    • Young Dems – Dave Coburn – meetings 4th Monday/mo – will discuss Elizabeth Warren and student debt plan she has
    • Black American Caucus – Glendora Claybrooks – everyone is welcome, not just Black Americans – every 2nd Tues – come out –
      • Barbara Glazer – Hard Conversations work group – a lot of us think we are not racist because we are progressive, if we were born white we are racist, we don’t have to think about what it means to be a POC when we wake up in the morning – HC has been hard for people to understand and participate in, but it has been immensely rewarding – we invite everyone – if you can’t attend, read “White Fragility” book – going to suspend meeting for June and will meet again in July – taking a break
    • Progressive Caucus – Alex Clemens – next meeting is June 20th, Griffith building, Suite 300 – he encourages people to come
    • East Washington County Democrats Group – Carol Greenough – from the far reaches of Wash Co! every 1st Thurs at the K Association Clubhouse – June 6 going to talk about big tech, have Lindsey Huddleston from TechTooBigForUS – will talk about what we can do with big tech running our lives, businesses, in ways we don’t necessary want them too, and what we can do about it; update from Carl the Field Director and what’s going on with the Legislature; all elected candidates in May election are welcome to come;
  • Delegation Leader Update
    • SCC – Farrah Chaichi – delegate selection plan (for to national convention) plan was posted last month – comments are closed –
      • controversy – 5 hour meeting in Prineville last Sunday – approved agenda at 4:47 pm – the DPO chair was censured
      • then elected people to executive committee – Amelia Manlove was elected to this body! The meeting was not actually adjourned, it might finish who knows – Aug 11 is the 3rd quarter meeting however
    • CD1 – Garrett Fleenor – were going to have an election with new alternates but it never happened so it will be restarted; one open male delegate slots, 2 open female delegate slots – if you are interested in running (non-binary can choose either) please email Garrett at firstcd@washcodems.org  – next meeting will be June 22 in Astoria  – also he is the new Rules Committee chair!
  • The special committee – the added part to the agenda – PASS! We are going to executive session – so now if not a PCP, must excuse yourself now
    • The contents of the ES are confidential, took about 45-60 minutes
  • Meeting Preferences Survey Results –  Patrick – 100 respondents almost – thoughts of improvements
    • 62% want to limit policy resolution debates to a small section of meeting
    • 71% want to limit proposed resolutions to 1 or 2 per meeting
      • we will have opportunity to vote on this
    • 65% would want rules changes propose only once or twice/year rather than at every CC meeting
      • We will have opportunity to vote on this
    • 80% like short updates from volunteer committees
      • we are encouraged to keep it brief
    • 54% want these special programs to start at 6:30 and then do normal business at 7pm – 37% want it to be part of the normal meeting
      • we will continue to present as normal
    • 42% want no recording; 35% want stream and record to make public; 23% want live stream but no public available
      • exec members will research using this findings
    • 58% want refresh full rewrite of bylaws instead of piecemeal
    • 65% want regular piece by piece, not length special meeting
      • we will continue to progress toward a bylaw revision in late 2019 or early 2020
    • 38% want 1 or 2 emails a month about the most important opportunities for activism, 37% want no emails on action just the newsletter
      • remind Communications Committee – 75% of members want emails, but not too frequently just once or twice each month
  • Short Answer Responses – lots of different responses
    • Unions and Organized Labor
    • Underrepresented Communities, how to get them involved
    • Young People and Working Families
    • Action Items – We need volunteers to take some helpful solution projects on
    • Implementing Motions
      • no more than 2 items each month from Resolutions and Platform – PASS
      • motion to restrict new rules to twice/year – committee is indeed instructed no more than twice per year over the next 12 months – PASS
  • Motion to omit rest of agenda, do PCP’s and leave! Amend – just do one rule, then adjourn. ⅔ vote to amend agenda. PASS
  • Should we strike the rule about PCP’s appointment must be last.
    • Someone suggested no because it’s a way people can stack a meeting with a huge PCP appointment, it has happened recently in at least one other county
    • Doug Plambeck said that one year, money was allocated. But someone showed up with 20-30 people from his district, got them to be PCP’s, so he got most of the money. Everyone was appalled that it happened. And those 20-30 people never came back.
    • Garrett Fleenor reminds us that no PCP’s can be appointed at a meeting and vote at the same meeting, it goes through the county office, at a minimum would take 2-3 weeks
    • PASS – it is stricken
  • PCP’s appointed.
  • DONE!  Right on time!