Kate Brown Is Awesome
By Dan Neill and Karolina Newcombe
WashCo Dems Communication Committee Members
Has this happened to you? You’re talking to a relative or neighbor, trying to impress upon them the importance of voting in the governor’s race this year, and they look at you and say “But what exactly has Kate Brown done? It doesn’t seem like she has done a whole lot.”
Nothing could be further from the truth. Kate has been an accomplished governor, and she has been looking out for her constituents.
Here is a list of only some of the Kate Brown awesomeness which has taken place during her tenure:
- Signed a bill to set a more progressive minimum wage for the state by 2022 ($14.75 PDX, $13.50 mid-size counties, $12.50 rural), making the decision before Disney or Amazon, and recognizing that wage inequality has soared steadily for 40 years.
- Set a state minimum of 40 hours paid sick leave for all jobs.
- Signed a bill banning rent increases for the first year of month-to-month leases and requiring a 90-day notice of increases thereafter, to protect against landlords increasing rent on families too quickly.
- Set up a default-ORSB state-run retirement plan for all employers that don’t offer a retirement plan.
Sensible Gun Laws:
- Closed the “Boyfriend Loophole” by signing the boyfriend loophole bill into law, protecting women who are victims of domestic violence even if the victim was just dating the attacker.
- Signed legislation to enforce universal background checks.
- Passed the Red Flag bill that allows a judge to temporarily take a gun away from someone if they are deemed a threat to themselves or others, leading the country in common sense gun control.
- Negotiated and ensured passage of a historic 10 year $5.3 billion transportation package, improving Oregon infrastructure and creating approximately 16,000 jobs.
- Extended some corporate tax breaks to small businesses.
- Passed ethics reforms to restore trust and accountability in state government, becoming the first governor to appoint a full-time public records attorney and put all public records online. Over 360,000 pages of public records were released.
- Protected Oregon’s status as a Sanctuary State.
- Signed the motor voter bill, which automatically registers anyone with a state ID as a voter. This was the first bill Kate signed as governor, and the first law of its kind in the nation.
- Signed an executive order banning state agencies from discrimination based on immigration status, and forbidding the creation of a registry of all Muslims, after some in the Trump administration had floated the idea.
- Passed trans-rights legislation to protect against discrimination in schools.
- Banned gay conversion therapy of minors.
- Created a system for constituents to report police profiling instances, and forced law enforcement agencies in the state to pass formal profiling bans.
Now that you’re armed with this list of essential Kate achievements, you can easily let everyone know why a vote for Kate Brown this year is crucial. We need our governor to be re-elected in order for Oregon to continue making progress and leading the nation with its values.