What It Really Means To Make America Great Again
By Gary Peterson, PCP
History teaches lessons which we may choose to learn from…or to ignore.
To make America great again one needs to understand what made it great to begin with:
• America led democracy with the forward thinking of our Founders and the United States Constitution
• America led the Industrial Revolution
• America developed the best infrastructure to support the industrial age
• America developed the best public-school system in the world
• America led the jet airplane age and American companies are still leaders of the jet airplane age
• America led the atomic age
• America led the computer industry and American companies still play a dominant role in that field
• America was the leader of the space age for decades and American companies are once again becoming influential in space exploration
• America led the development of the Internet
Most of these achievements were based on America’s political system and the infrastructure and school system America put in place to support domestic growth.
To make America great again one needs to assess our current status:
America’s political system is dysfunctional–politicians are not following the spirit of debate, collaboration, and compromise that our Founders demonstrated
• America’s infrastructure is stuck in the 20th century and underfunded
• America’s school system is stuck in the 20th century and underfunded
• America has ceded leadership in three key industries that will shape the future:
Make America Great Again!
Change the political system–this will have be initiated by the voters.
• Don’t vote for candidates who take money from PAC’s
• Don’t vote for candidates who act strictly along party lines
• Don’t vote for candidates who air negative campaign commercials
• Don’t vote for candidates who will not commit to work across the aisle
• Invest in an infrastructure that will support the industries of the future
• Invest in a school system that will prepare our next generation to move the industries of the future forward
• Make legislation that will support and encourage the growth of the industries of the future
We have to be both fiscally and socially responsible–unfortunately, big money in politics makes this impossible.